Friday, August 25, 2006

TV

After about four years without cable we finally decided to bite the bullet this week. The cable man came early this morning. He had to confirm with me that we only wanted the basic lineup, saying he doesn't get very many customers who want just the basic channels, to which I wanted to answer, "Yes, I know. We're cheap." I didn't tell him we had gone without it for so long or that, for me, the extra channels just seemed like a rather large and completely unecessary expense (not to say that I wouldn't enjoy them). We had the basic package in our first apartment together, in New Hampshire (where you couldn't dream of getting any channels with an antenna alone), but when we moved to New York originally, Brian called to try and get the same package and was told it was unavailable. We bought a decent antenna and managed. Then last week we saw cable trucks at our neighbors' and decided to try contacting the cable company again, just to be sure. After all, we were getting tired of fuzzy channels that would occasionally turn blue. As it turned out, not only was the basic package available, but the cost was about $11 a month (with tax) for two rooms, and we would get clear TV and a couple extra channels (that we may or may not watch). Anyway, it's here now, so we can channel-flip to our hearts' delight without having to adjust the rabbit ears in such a way that we can kind-of-sort-of-almost get two channels at the same time; i.e. we can officially be lazy. Woohoo!

Tommy was very interested in what the cable man was doing this morning and watched intently. He asked continuously what he was doing and followed him from the living room into the bedroom, where he watched from the bed at first and then from inside the closet. Yes, the closet. I kept a close eye on him to make sure he wasn't interfering, which he actually wasn't, and the man was nice and didn't seem to mind at all. After a while I heard Tommy ask what Mommy was doing. Then I heard Tommy say, "I don't know what she's doing either!" (Meanwhile I was right by the doorway, watching.) When the cable truck pulled away Tommy watched out the window, blew kisses, and said, "Bye! I love you! Bye!" We really need to break him of that. We keep telling him that's only for Mommy and Daddy, but it never seems to sink in. I suppose it's better than, "Get out! We hate you!" But... it's still not good. We'll continue to work on it.

For now I'm off to play Get Away from the Crocodiles with Tommy. Tommy is using his lego tub as a boat. I think I might have to stay on shore...

No comments: