Sunday, August 27, 2006

Coffee and Knitting

I kept my fingers on the needles for so long tonight that my coffee was cold by the time I took my fourth or fifth sip, so today's post is really about the knitting. I'm not sure why I mentioned coffee.

In any case, this photo does terrible things to the color of the mitten, but just as I found something white to use as a background the camera batteries went dead, and photographing a mitten just wasn't serious enough to motivate me to charge the batteries. It's supposed to be a deep red. Maybe it will come out better when I have finished both mittens and can have Tommy try them on.

I am sure I will make the other one very soon (probably tomorrow). In fact I made another today but didn't like how it turned out, so I stopped just before finishing it off and started over with my own made-up pattern, which worked out much better. I did offer to add stripes, but Tommy wanted them all red, which was fine. I just hope they fit!

...I know I'm far from it now, but some day I would like to learn the art of Fair Isle knitting and make something like these. I love the look of many of the Scandinavian designs out there. I probably wouldn't have anything with which to actually wear them, but at least they would be pretty to look at while knitting. =)

3 comments:

Steph said...

I'm not sure why bloglines hates me, but I didn't get any blog updates from your blog until yesterday for the past month!!! I'm all caught up, so:

congrats on dragging the family to blogging!

congrats on getting cable and clear tv at last!

nice mitten!!

nice pictures!!!

:-p

Rebecca said...

Please teach me how to knit mittens and hats. I might be able to devote an hour or two to projects here and there as the kiddos settle into a bedtime and sleeping pattern, and I've always wanted to make mittens! I think I'll crochet some hats - that's no big deal - but I beg you to teach me how to do the mittens. I just can't get it from the books - I'm a hands-on learner. Please?

SJ said...

Stephanie - Thanks! =)

Buddy - Of course I will show you what I know... which isn't much, but mittens and hats are quick, easy, and fun, and you know I would love to show ya!