Monday, April 24, 2006

So, dirt...

...my new motivation for working hard...

Tonight, after story time, Tommy and I were talking. (I love it!) He has been very excited to garden with me, which is a little funny because I don't know the first thing about gardening, though I have been wanting to plant some flowers since before we moved here. The reason he has been so excited is that we went to Target on Saturday and bought him his own gardening tools and gloves ($1 each, thank you). He asked us all rainy weekend if we could go outside and garden, and he continues to do so. Tonight he said we would garden "next day." I explained that we needed to buy dirt first (never thought I would be buying dirt), and he said, "Oh yes! We have to buy dirt first, before we can garden!" I also explained that we needed money in order to buy the dirt, and he agreed. When I asked where we were going to get money he thought for a minute, and then he said we would get it from his piggy bank. "Ok," I thought, "that's a good start," so I asked where we would get money after all the money in the piggy bank was gone, and he paused to think again. He finally decided we would "just get some," and then he added a few seconds later, "from the machine." (If only it were that easy.) I said, "Yeah, but how do we get money into the machine?" and while the gears were clearly still turning, I could tell he was truly puzzled, so I finally let him in on the fact that Mommy and Daddy have to work to get money. He seemed to feel much better, now having the mystery solved, and again said, "Oh, yes! That's where we get money! You and Daddy have to work so you can get money, so we can buy dirt!" Now we were onto something. "That's right!" I said. "Mommy and Daddy have to work all week, so that on Friday we can get some money, and then, on Saturday, we can buy dirt, and then we can garden!" That seemed to please him.

I now have a new goal for the week. Work hard. Make money. Buy dirt.

It's a good plan, don't you think?

I love having a 4-year-old.


No comments: