Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Heaven, Babies, and Afghans

It's hard to follow up to my previous post. All I can say right now is that the funeral was beautiful and reminded me of the peace that can follow this life. I will hold my memories close and think of Missy often. I have many deeper thoughts on the subject, which I will save for a later post.

On a much lighter note I am very happy to share that Becky gave birth to a healthy baby girl on Superbowl Sunday. (No, not during the game. We received the phone call the same morning.) I can't wait to meet little Brooke!

I hear too that Andy and Kara are again expecting, though I haven't spoken directly with them, so I haven't officially confirmed anything. I want another one too!

I happened to finish Brooke's baby afghan on Sunday after the announcement. I'm not terribly happy with the way it turned out, but it is soft, and the color is nice. I haven't decided whether or not I'll give it to her though, because as my first knitting project in years it clearly lacks originality and skill. In fact one side is definitely shorter than the opposite end. Somehow when I was casting off I couldn't seem to keep the stitches as loose as they had been.

On the other hand I also picked up crocheting recently and have a large afghan for home in the works. I will admit that I actually like that one so far. I shouldn't admit too much until it's done, but it's soft, and again the colors are pretty. I'm getting to a point where I need to make decisions about where to change colors and how big to make the blanket, but I'm having trouble deciding just what to do. When I am done it will be huge.

Here are some pics of both blankets. The pink one is for Brooke. (It's bigger than it looks, as it's laying on our king sized bed in the picture.) I took the pic of the gray one last night and have already added significant width since then. I will probably switch back to dark gray tonight.


No comments: