Sunday, May 21, 2006

Another Project Finished


I finally finished the baby shawl about a week ago. I was a bit disappointed, actually. The border was pretty, but the shape was strange. (There is a reason I didn't lay it out on a flat surface for the photograph.) The pattern proved to be pretty simple, and even though I used a slightly larger hook than the pattern called for, I didn't have to buy any extra yarn, which was good. Now I just have to figure out what to do with it. My brother and sister-in-law are expecting their fifth baby in August, and I was thinking of them the entire time, but now I don't think it's really practically sized for a baby, so I might have to think of something else.

Next I'm up for something small and quick. I'm looking for a boyish hat to make for Tommy. I still have lots of soft gray yarn left over from an earlier project and would eventually like to make a scarf and some mittens to match. I was thinking of a simple diamond-like cable pattern, if that makes sense -or something similar. I am the type of person who thinks up new ideas on my own and then looks for something similar, only to get frustrated. If only I knew a little bit more about knitting I am sure I would make up my own patterns all the time. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to buy the book I have in mind to help me get there. I'm hoping I will be able to purchase the book and a few knitting necessities before I go away on my business trip this summer. I figure I should have plenty of time to myself at the hotel and will surely need some serious de-stressing, as being away from my family is going to tear me to pieces. Ugh.

I have time to think up my next project anyway, as I need to focus on studying this week and won't allow myself to pick up a needle or a hook again after tonight, until I have taken my test on Friday. I am seriously behind.

In the meantime, I'm not completely dismissing the urge to brainstorm my next project and would love some help in gathering a few terrific patterns. So please, pretty pretty please, with cherries on top-and whipped cream-and a pile of yarn-if you have a favorite pattern, share!

2 comments:

Steph said...

When I'm looking for a pattern, I start googling appropriate phrases - "knit" "free" "pattern" "raglan" "men's sweater" etc. usually I can find something, or pictures, or a link that gives me enough inspiration to stumble onto a pattern or pattern source. Magknits and Knitty are also well-known free pattern sites. I would stay away from freepatterns.com, they make you register, give you a gibberish password you can't change, and their patterns are not worth it in my opinion! I also have a few pattern books and a few knitting reference books, but I have to admit I've only made a few patterns from books. Mostly they are inspiration.

I remember you had a smooth grey yarn and some Homespun - you probably know this, but use the smooth yarn for cables, you won't be able to see anything in the homespun.

SJ said...

I did look online and print a handful of patterns. I still didn't find just the one I was looking for, but I am picky.

I did like Grumperina's Sharfik and a couple of others, including a precious baby's hat I will make for sure. (I'll save that one for a surprise and post a photo once it's completed.)

I was referring to the smooth grey yarn for the scarf and mittens, which is Caron's Simply Soft. I really like that particular yarn and think it would be perfect for most any cabled project.

I don't know what I'll do with the Homespun, but I'll hang on to it.

I am aching to knit again! Only two more days!!