Sunday, January 03, 2010

A Quiet Day

I seem to have caught Gabe's cold, and with the terrible wind last night I couldn't seem to catch a wink, so today I'm laying low.

I took some time this morning to play with the camera again. Brian seems to think I'm crazy for photographing so many seemingly random objects. He's mostly right, but I'm okay with that because I love it! It gives me a chance to attempt something artistic again, and hey, those of you who know me well will remember the days of my makeshift studio over the garage and utter obsession for all things artsy. I still don't know exactly what steered me away from my artistic college and career plans... I guess I probably needed a break from the usual. Anyway, I still see everyday life through the same eyes, and I'm happy to have found a fun way to bring all that back. The best part, though, might be the people I meet who think the same way. I love that so many photographers, whether they be amateurs or professionals, use the Internet as a tool to share, explore, teach, and draw from one another. I also love the diversity. So far, I'm loving it!

What I'm not loving, on the other hand, is this wind. It has been really fierce lately. Our house has 58-year old windows and old insulation, neither of which help the situation one bit. I've been warm; that's not the issue. In fact, the newly renovated second floor is insulated so well that Brian often has to turn off the upstairs radiator so that we don't roast to death at night. (The whole house is on one thermostat, and while the upstairs is very 2010 (okay, 2009), the downstairs is much more 1952. Yeah.) Last night we kept hearing very loud banging. Brian wasn't entirely sure what it was. It could have been the flashing coming untucked from the back roof. (Yes, he had to fix that today.) Maybe it had something to do with the windows. We have three HUGE windows downstairs (plus four normal ones), none of which has a tight seal. In fact, each one has its own cracked pane, and at least one of them doesn't close all the way. They sweat often. Yesterday we were wiping condensation off of the shades. (Um, at least they're clean now?!) Brian even noticed our curtains swaying from the breeze! Yikes! Anyway, I guess the storm windows aren't an entirely perfect fit, so the wind may have been pushing them around. Whatever it was, I just couldn't sleep through it, and I really hope tonight goes better!

Hey, at least the glassy ice made for some funky patterns on our front window this morning.


If I had more two-handed time I would have gone in for some better shots, but at least you get the idea.

I'm in a rush to bed now, so I'll have to cut tonight's post a little short. Before I go, though, remember those aging bananas? They made for a great breakfast.

I think I'll start tomorrow the same way.

Goodnight.

No comments: