Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Memories - Old and New

We're back from a long weekend in New Hampshire. Initially we planned the trip around our high school reunion, but we ended up keeping ourselves quite busy with family. It was great to be able to stay with my mom and sister and family all at the same time (since my mom sold her condo and moved in with Becky).

Thomas and Brady are still best buddies, in case you can't tell from the photo. My mom said after we left Brady looked very sad and said he missed Tommy, and when I asked Tommy what his favorite part of the trip was, he said it was playing with Brady. As my mom would say, the were two peas in a pod.

Becky lives within walking distance to a river, and the water was low, so my mom, Becky, and I took Thomas, Brady, Brooke, and Gabe on the short hike down and went wading. We couldn't have asked for nicer weather. We left late in the day, so even though the sun was out and the sky was blue, we weren't too worried about the kids getting too much sun. It was great to see the kids enjoying themselves and being completely free to explore and have fun. Some times I feel like I seem to be always worried about one thing or another, but out in nature with the family, I was reminded of my worry-free childhood days. I grew up by a lake, a small river, and lots of woods. There was a path that led from our driveway directly to a gorge. I spent my summers swimming, canoeing, bike-riding, and hiking, and I couldn't imagine more fond memories than those I harbor from my summers as a kid. I loved being out there again over the weekend, and I can't wait to do it again some time.

No comments: