Monday, August 15, 2011

New Tricks

Thanks to a good friend who one day seemingly randomly just decided to teach me how to dye fiber a couple of months ago (while she was hobbling around with a sprained ankle, I might add) and sent me home with a nice little braid of blue-green wool, I now know how to dye fiber. Or at least, I am capable of doing it. ...I mean, well, sort of. Because I did. Once. It came out NOTHING like I planned, but hey, I did it!

I don't have any good pictures of the spun blue-green effort just yet, but here's a little look at what I made on my own...

My undyed wool:


Spread in a baking pan and absorbing some food colors in my oven:


Dry, braided, and ready to bring to New Hampshire:
(It was a birthday present for my sister, who had not previously tried spinning; I also made her a very simple, inexpensive spindle... )


I kept a small portion just so that I could see how it would spin up:


There's only a teeny bit of fiber left, so now I just have to figure out how to ply and come up with a good project that doesn't require much yarn.

I wonder what it will become.

No comments: