Monday, September 29, 2008

Weekend in New Hampshire

We're back from another weekend in New Hampshire. It was nice to visit. My dad gave the boys pumpkins from his garden, we got to see my grandma for the first time in a long time, and we were able to enjoy a little down time with my mom, sister, and her family. The ride back was beautiful too, as it was peak season in Vermont, and while the skies were pretty cloudy there was almost no rain, so it made for a nice backdrop.

Brian and Thomas had bought two tickets to Saturday's Red Sox game at the last minute, through someone at work, but they drove all the way to Boston only to wait out an hour-long rain delay at Fenway and then have to head back to New Hampshire because the game was finally postponed. Then they couldn't go to the make-up game, so they were disappointed, though at least they appreciated some good one-on-one time and Tommy got to ride the subway.

Visiting with my gram was a nice treat. I used to accompany my mom to weekend morning visits when I was growing up, but in the last few years the only times I had seen my gram were at family functions. Sitting in her living room and listening to her get excited about politics brought it all rushing back, and I loved it. I made sure to buy a few of her beautiful handmade bibs while there, and she snuck some potholders and a baby quilt home with us as well. I had never seen her craft table set up at home; what an amazing colorful display it was. I wish I had taken a picture to share with you all. She is so talented.

She passed on a stack of old knitting magazines and books while we were there, and I took my time leafing through them after unpacking a bit. I loved the prices on each - ranging from 10 cents all the way up to $1.75. Amazing. The best part about it all, though, was imagining my grandmother--and maybe even my great grandmother--looking over all the patterns, carefully selecting her next project. Oh, how we girls could have talked the day away with our projects and a cup of coffee or two, should we live closer and my great grandmother still be here to share in the fun. Sweet, sweet memories made for some very warm moments as I looked over all those great basic yet beautiful mittens patterns; that's for sure.

No comments: