Friday, June 02, 2006

Bees, Books, and Dinner Theatre Plans

Last night after dinner and before I fell asleep with Tommy (for the second night in a row-yes, I'm tired) we turned on the television and stumbled upon the Scripps National Spelling Bee. It felt like life or death, watching those kids up there, spelling their hearts out! One girl missed a word, and when she went to sit with her family her little sister cried. I was going to get choked up just watching from home! It was serious stuff. The girl who won, Katharine Close (no, I didn't misspell her first name), won with the word "ursprache." The runner up misspelled the word "weltschmerz." I just ran spell-check, and the only two words that came up (with no suggestions, I might add) were the two spelling bee words. Ha. Blogger would have lost. :) The prizes weren't too shabby either.
**********
Tommy and I are home today and taking some much needed R&R. We might go out later. I never did get my trip to the yarn store. I was excited because Brian and Tommy were home on Monday and told me of their plans to go to Best Buy. I sent them on an errand to A.C. Moore with a coupon, to buy a book I have been wanting, and I was really looking forward to looking through it when I got home. Then when I called home later in the day, the boys had succeeded in finding the new wireless keyboard and mouse (very nice), but they couldn't find my book. We almost tried another store when I got home, but we would have been cutting it close, what with the Red Sox game at 7pm, which was much more important. We made a point to go out Tuesday as soon as I got home. What happened? Severe thunderstorms. The kind where you hold on to your steering wheel for dear life, hoping a tree won't drop in front of you or a flash of lightning hit your moving car. It was a big one. I might have seen more lightning in that one storm than I have seen from any other ever, and had I not been in such a hurry to leave work I wouldn't have driven through it. Yeah, we didn't make it out Tuesday night either, and Wednesday and Thursday were out of the question to begin with. So... maybe today. We'll see.
We did purchase some dinner theatre tickets through a discount program at work. We never do anything for just the two of us, so we're really looking forward to it. We probably can't afford it, but then, can we afford not to do something like that either? The tickets include our choice of entree (prime rib, roasted chicken breast, vegetarian lasagna, or Norwegian salmon) and all the fixings (salad, rolls, veggies, dessert, coffee, tea). The play is a comedy. It's not terribly close to us, but it isn't like driving to the city either, so it shouldn't be too bad. I can't wait!

1 comment:

Steph said...

Wow!