Thursday, April 27, 2006

Another Project

My mom bought me this book for Christmas. When I first received it I just assumed it was a drawing/sketching book/journal with a few words to help get the creative juices flowing. I liked the idea well enough, but as busy as I tend to be, I didn't actually sit down to work with it for a very long time.

After I did open the book, pencil in hand and ready to draw, I quickly learned the idea was not to draw but to create collages, and to "discover" oneself in the process. -While I'm not terribly into the deepness of self-discovery through a book that is basically an organized way to revisit the childhood fun of simple collage, I do enjoy the idea and like the way the book is organized.

-If you've been reading my blog for long you know I like to shop (usually from home) but don't like to spend money, and that I therefore spend a fair amount of time flipping through catalogues and updating my online wishlists. What you may not know is that I keep a small stash catalogues and magazines with pictures that I find particularly appealing -for a long time. I have a rather large collection of Pottery Barn catalogues, for example, because I just like to look at them from time to time.

Tonight I went through several magazines and catalogues, cutting out loads of pictures. Looking at so many pictures of things I like (which is the idea-not to create art, but to make a collection of things you enjoy) was terrific! I'm going to be seeing images of pretty things all night!

There is also the added bonus that I just threw away at least 10 or 15 magazines and catalogues in one night! (Did you ever save a catalogue for the one or two items you liked in all 100 pages? I had no problem discarding the catalogues after cutting out those pictures, and now it's sort of like having a terrific catalogue filled with only things that I like... and without all the prices reminding me that I can't have them!)

This is basic therapy for me. It's like coloring. Didn't you ever have someone hand you a page from a coloring book and some crayons, when times were particularly stressful? It may not heal the pain, but it is a nice way to relax and enjoy oneself.

Thanks Mom!

No comments: